Friday 14 August 2015

Cotton Pygmy-goose

The Cotton Pygmy-goose or Indian pygmy-goose or Cotton teal (Nettapus coromandelianus) is one of the smallest waterfowl in the world, and resident in the Indian subcontinent, south-east Asia and some parts of Australia. These perching ducks are predominantly white in color, and are common across lakes, ponds and other water bodies.

Cotton Pygmy-goose, Surajpur Bird Sanctuary, Greater Noida

However, I have found very few specimens during my 18 months of birding, and I would blame it on my own shortcomings in identifying the bird. I have until date photographed just a couple of birds in flight, which is surprising since this bird is reportedly found even in village ponds where it becomes almost tame. I will be adding on more images as and when I am lucky enough to find them!


Cotton Pygmy-goose, Surajpur Bird Sanctuary, Greater Noida

[Update (09 Sept 2015): As always, one finds birds when one looks for them. This has proven true when I started my earnest search for them, and spotted them right at my first trip to Bharatpur this season! Images from Bharatpur have been updated in this blog]

Cotton Pygmy-Geese at Keoladeo Bird Sanctuary, Bharatpur on 06 Sept 2015

The Cotton Pygmy-goose feeds on seeds, vegetation, insects, etc. They are non-migratory and nest in tree holes. They are fast fliers and can dive quite well. The breeding season is July to September.

Cotton Pygmy-Goose at Keoladeo Bird Sanctuary, Bharatpur on 06 Sept 2015
These pied birds are graceful flyers and during the rainy season, engage in mid-air courtship flights! As tree ducks, the Cotton Pygmy-Goose can be sighted sitting atop trees when they aren't in water or flight. Being abundant in numbers, these birds are categorized as “Least Concern” by IUCN.

No comments:

Post a Comment